What Would You Do?

So as it turns out there is a person out there with the name Tea Geek and as some of you know I have recently started a website called TeaGeeks. The differences are of course one website is “.net” and mine is “.com” and I have a “s” on the end of my name and he doesn’t. I found out about this other person and site once my last blog post went out. I was then notified by a few people that I know and also knows the other site. Before then I had no idea this other site even exsisted and once I went to the site noticed it was a place where you can sign up to receive newsletters. I thought to myself this is clearly different than what I was doing. I admit it did kind of stink that there was someone else out there with a similar name but I thought I would just let it go. I even reached out to the owner of the other site to at least say “Hi” and how it is so funny our names are so similar. Here I thought I had an original idea. I was thinking of that name for a long time. I was excited when I saw the domain name was available. Nevertheless, I get the feeling the other person is upset with me and may have the idea that I stole something from him. I might be wrong and hope I am. For one thing I didn’t steal anything he still has his site and I have mine. It just so happens they are similar. On the other hand I don’t want anyone to think ill of me. For me to steal anything would be a terrible way to start a business and even if I tried would be noticed in our tightly knit community, as was proven here. If any feelings were hurt I will apologize. Unfortunately, my excitement is now tainted and I really don’t want anyone upset with me. I also know I can’t make everyone happy. So hoping that everyone knows that I am not a malicious person maybe just a clueless one from time to time so I need to ask what would you do? I can look into keeping TeaGeeks or I already have another domain name I am not using which I like as well called IHeartTeas. I love both names, clearly I liked the first a bit better. So would you keep the original name or would you change it? This is the best time to make changes since I haven’t really done much on the side of business yet. I have only sold teas from my personal stash. Any thoughts? I would just hate this to be an issue for anyone. Tea=Love and that is how I would like to keep it.

Please help me! Thank you!

Profile photo of iheartteas

iheartteas

Hi, my name is Rachana Rachel Carter.I am a long time tea addict, foodie, and wine enthusiast. Along with all my passions at the core I am a huge health and fitness advocate.Plus a bit of a geek and as crafty as can be.

Thank you for reading!
Profile photo of iheartteas

Latest posts by iheartteas (see all)

Profile photo of iheartteas

iheartteas

Hi, my name is Rachana Rachel Carter. I am a long time tea addict, foodie, and wine enthusiast. Along with all my passions at the core I am a huge health and fitness advocate. Plus a bit of a geek and as crafty as can be. When I am not running after the kids, managing the household, and homeschooling my oldest I enjoy blogging about my passions and how it applies to my life. Thank you for reading!

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Profile photo of Xavier Xavier says:

I would try to avoid confusion and therefore I would change the name.
    Not because you are guilty of anything or a bad person or anything like that but because close names are confusing and in business, confusion is not a good thing.

2. Profile photo of Jackie Jackie says:

Rachel, it is of course your decision but I’ve known of teageek for a good while, and I would say that he is pretty well known and respected among the online tea world. Every time I read teageeks, I think of his teageek. You are newer on twitter and so you didn’t know about him.

I know that if someone came up with a name similar to the ones we use, I wouldn’t be too happy. I guess it’s a kind of pride we all have in building a reputation and name with our sites.

When planning a new website, it’s probably best to run searches on any similar domain names. Whether they are active etc. I am sure you didn’t know of the other website, so I know this wasn’t planned.

But I also understand if teageek has reservations, and I do have to tell you that many others will think of him, when they see your domain name. It’s a bit like @xavier said, that “confusion” is not such a good thing. Either way, the decision of course is yours!

I’m sorry this has dampened your excitement but I know you’ll do great when you’re in full swing,
    J.

3. Profile photo of liberteas liberteas says:

I have to agree with @xavier and @jackie – it would probably be best to change the name at this juncture. From my own experience, I know I got a bit peeved when I saw that the “tea party” had a website they were calling “liberteas.” I had been operating under that name for a long time and I certainly did not want it connected to the tea party in any way.

I do wish you the very best in your venture!

4. Profile photo of iheartteas iheartteas says:

With much conversation and contemplation I have decided to go with another name for my company.  I will continue to keep my legally obtained domain name http://www.TeaGeeks.com and will repurpose it’s main function at a later date.  Instead I will name my company IHeartTeas.com. It is a domain name I have had for over a year now but haven’t used.  Over the next few days I will migrate things over.  I have done a search and from what I can tell there are no other companies operating under that name or anything similar.  Since this is the case I will use IHeartTeas.com. This decision does not come easy and since I do not like to be dishonest,  I will say it does feel uncomfortably pressured.  However, I do not want to offend anyone and I can see that it can be felt that way from the other persons perspective.  Fortunately, since I am in the beginnings of building my tea company this change will be made easily, although it won’t change the way I feel.  Keeping in mind in the future I will not concede so willingly.   So finally the new name will be I Heart Teas with the website address of http://www.IHeartTeas.com.  I hope I don’t lose any of my tea friends over this innocent situation, now made right.  Thank you for everyone’s input it is greatly appreciated. 🙂

5. Profile photo of Jackie Jackie says:

Rachel, I love that new name! I think it’s awesome you own that domain. It sounds like a perfect name for a company run by you. It’s warm & welcoming & fun and dedicated to tea.

J.

6. Profile photo of iheartteas iheartteas says:

Thank you Jackie, I appreciate your kind words, support, and encouragement. 🙂

7. Profile photo of Jackie Jackie says:

It’s a good decision, you’ve made Rachel. Michael Coffey is invested himself deeply into the TeaGeek brand. I saw your previous post announcing it and intended to respond to it, but I’m sorry to say that I got busy and missed the opportunity.

You shouldn’t have any hard feelings about this. Interesting thing to note, as I was researching the Tea Trade brand, I found that teatrade.com is owned by someone in San Fransisco. He did contact me as soon as I started promoting the brand. He was complaining that he already owns the Tea Trade brand. I argued with him, fortunately, I did my homework. He’s owned the domain for ten years, and at no time in its history has it ever been used for a website. It’s easy to check website domain histories at http://web.archive.org/ He’s been in the tea business off and on for a decade, but never bothered to develop such a premium domain into anything. He made claims that he was going forward with a new tea business with that domain, but I haven’t seen anything yet.

I offered to him that teatrade.com is better served (as a domain name) being associated with our brand here, I even offered to buy it from him (though I admit that did not offer much, since I don’t have much). I would love to have complete control over all the primary teatrade domains, so that day I immediately made a strategic decision and also bought teatrade.org, which I intend to use in the future as the charitable arm of the Tea Trade brand.

I see your position as different than mine. If I were in your shoes, I would simply attempt to save face and contact Michael Coffey with and apology an offer to sell the domain to him for the cost you paid, if he wants it. He has been using the brand for several years and (in my opinion only) could use the domain you have ownership of to take greater control of it.

In addition to Michael Coffey, there is also Alex Downs who ran his TeaGeeksTV blog from 2009-2010 (this is now no longer online, however). That aside, Michael Coffey has the most robust presence of the Tea Geek brand.

The other side to this is that having Michael in your circle of contacts and friends is not a bad place to be. He carries an influence and knowledge that few seem to possess. While I have not paid to gain access to the Wiki he maintains, I am acutely aware that it’s contents is excellent, well-maintained, and very thorough.

8. Profile photo of Peter Peter says:

9. Profile photo of iheartteas iheartteas says:

Thank you Peter for your response. When making this decision I decided I rather not be associated with anyone at all. I prefer to have my own presence. I also took the time to see from his perspective and felt maybe I would be a little upset if that happened to me as well. So out of good faith and appreciation for all of the tea community I won’t use the domain. Contrary to anyone’s belief I did research the name but at no time did I consider the name without the “s” it just wasn’t what I was looking for. Of course in hind sight I see this was a mistake and had I know I would have never selected the name. I only wanted a positive feeling and a good foot forward when going into this. So without be asked and knowing I could technically use the name I am choosing not to because it just wouldn’t be right. I am just trying to do the honorable thing.